Friday, April 20, 2012

Hiding The Containers



                             
Years ago I was managing my own business and had been hired to create a beautiful luncheon for a client and her friends.

She ordered all of the food and wanted me to set up and style the table and create the flower arrangements and so on.

"Get rid of these containers. All of them. I don't want to see any containers lying around anywhere!"

She was serious.

While I was trying to create and style- she was busy scurrying around plating the chicken salad and asked me to dispose of any and all containers.

I assumed she meant this- let's get rid of the garbage before the guests arrive.

Later on, during the meal, what she actually meant took on new form...

It went down something like this....


Guests: Did you make this chicken salad?


Hostess: Yes...


Guests: Oh my gosh this is amazing!

Hostess: Thank you!

Guests: Did you make everything?

Hostess: Oh yes...

On and on it continued throughout the luncheon....

The raving. The complimenting. The fanfare.

And it wasn't long before I realized....We never took the garbage out after all.

Maybe we hid all the containers. Maybe there wasn't any evidence lying around-

But the garbage?  It was front and center stage.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Why do we as women feel the need to try and be so fabulous all of the time?

Why do we feel the need to try and impress others to the point that our hearts are so heavy and our spirits are so weighty that we couldn't take our own spiritual garbage out if we tried?

And so we settle for a life of simply hiding the containers.


We hide the containers in the school fundraiser. In meetings at the office. We hide them in our marriage.  In our parenting. We hide them at our children's birthday parties. We hide them
in the name of just trying to be a good Mom, wife, sister, daughter and friend.


I don't think this is what the Father meant when he spoke about the abundant life.

Because if we are hosting and entertaining and inviting friends over just to impress-

If we are taking intellectual property and creative property and trying to slap our name on it-

All in the name of trying to be fabulous and win every ones approval....

Then we'd better get more than a Hefty Cinch Sack.

We need Him.

Because life with Him will require us to face it all and offer it up to the One who knows how to pull that drawstring best...

Life with Him will eventually require us to say....

This is me.


The good . The bad. And the- I wish I was really this fabulous.


He can take every sense of unworthiness, every insecurity, every unmet need and every gaping wound and tie it all up and dispose of it properly.


And in exchange He will offer us a life of freedom and security and the confidence to leave the empty containers out on the kitchen counter and give credit where credit is due. 


He will offer us a life where we can be true.


Where we can have the courage to be exactly who He has called us to be.


The courage to open our hearts and say to one another- this is me.


He will offer us the opportunities to extend hospitality - just to be a blessing to someone.


Without any hidden agendas or motives and without any need to try and impress. 

In doing that...

In offering up the life we've tried to make for ourselves...

This hiding of the containers life.

We can discover a life that is better than we imagined.

We have to be willing to lose our life to find it... Matthew 10:39

We can discover that we were wonderful all along.

We really are creative.

We really are fearfully and wonderfully made.

We really do have a genius deep inside waiting to be discovered.

One who is brilliant and beautiful and was just hidden underneath mountains
of empty containers labeled I wish I was enough.


We are, you know.


In all of our mistakes. 


In all of our shortcomings. 


In all of our past and present poor decision making.


In all of our undecorated homes and stained furnishings and cars that need to be detailed.


In all of our take out meals and missed appointments and deadlines.


In all of our piles of laundry. The clean. The dirty. The lost and the found.


Even in the midst of all of this....


We are beautiful vessels filled with opportunity and purpose and possibility.
We are overflowing with ideas and creativity. We are radiant with glory, destiny and details that
He has written on our hearts and in our spirits. We are expectant with dreams and desires and 
the hope that is our future.


Here's to a weekend of discovering it all through Him sweet friends....


25 comments:

lizziefitz said...

Through tears I write a sincere ThanYou Sibi.

Shakin' the Foundation said...

Wow!! Amazing post Sibi!! It has opened my eyes to a area in my life. Thank you for sharing~

xoxo
Stacey

DeeDee said...

I love this!!! God is really, really teaching me that who I am in him is 'FABULOUS' and that I don't have to live up to world's standard of fabulous is. Very good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Maria said...

Amen and Amen!!!

just ask beth said...

so true..it is ok to succumb to help.. I love to make everything homemade and when I am trying to get it all done my family pays if I get frazzled..I usually have a handle on it..but Today, yes before I read this..I told the hubby..I am not NOT putting this pressure on US anymore..if I don't want to do something I am not going to feel bad saying no!! Great POST!!

Tiffany said...

Such great truths! Good reminders!

We just need to be ourselves! Be who He created us to be!

Amen.

xoTiffany

paige said...

aaaaahhhh! so true.
beautiful words my friend

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh this was such a fabulous post!

KK

Anonymous said...

I have been having this revelation with myself so much lately. Great post. I am striving to be a mother who is open and exposed so that I can live a fuller life and so can my children. Thank you

Jennifer said...

i needed this post today...as i keep playing in my mind all the things that have to be accomplished to the best over the next few weeks. i have to say i have that "working mom" symdrome that when it is time to do something i have this feeling of trying to prove how i can get it all done...thank the sweet Lord for putting this on your heart to post...i needed it!

Ruth said...

So true!!
Your blog has been such a blessing to me. I can't get enough.
It is so much easier to hide the containers than to admit the truth.
Thank you for sharing what the Lord puts on your heart.
Ruth

Stacey said...

Thank you Sibi! The right words at just the right time!

Tiffany said...

Thank you for these beautiful words written from the heart. As a young wife and mother just trying to keep it all together, I needed this gentle reminder to just be me. I don't need to be pretend, I just need to be me. Thank you for speaking to my heart this afternoon. You have a blessed weekend as well.
Tiffany

Love Being A Nonny said...

You speak what we all need to hear. We are all in this mess together. Thank goodness for Grace...and bought chicken salad. :) love your heart Sibi.

Michele said...

Beautiful Sibi! Love that this was just another one of your posts written just for me :) Tears streaming down my face dear friend! xoxoxo

MDP said...

Oh, my! You have NO idea the hoops I have jumped through today to try to make every upcoming party perfect for the guests of honor - complete with lots of homemade food after a full day of work and putting the kiddo to bed! I finally sat down to rest and stroll through blogs. Thank you!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Thank you. Really. Thank you for being the Father's voice today.

3 Peanuts said...

GREAT post Sibi. Although I could not (and would not) lie about making something I did not make....I am sure that I "hide containers" in my own life. This is something really worth thinking about. I wonder about the messages it send our kids too.

Thank you. you are so very gifted.
Kim

nonnie said...

Sibi,
I so needed this today! thank you!
Hope all is well, and all are healthy :)
Love you!
teresa

Home: Inside and Out said...

Oh Sibi! This is one of many reasons why I love you! Thanks for this today!
-Ashley

Susan Shull said...

Ahhh, Sibi! Thank you for this. Satan tells us over and over that we aren't enough-that we are fat and "she" is thin, that "hers" is cuter, that "she" is better. He keeps us jealous and envious and unsatisfied. Thank you for the reminder that in Christ we already have everything that matters.

shannon p said...

Amen, Amen, Amen...I have been praying over this same topic and so badly want to let EVERY woman I know and those I don't know that THEY ARE ENOUGH....you so eloquently just said it for us all. You are a Blessing!

Lori said...

How sad. Will ponder this and think through any containers in my life, thanks Sibi!
This makes me think of a Pin I have on my Laughter board...
" I see these moms who can do everything, and I think, I should have them do some stuff for me." :)
Thanks for the sweet comment by the way and I'm always glad to share pins with you!!
xo

Valerie said...

I can't believe I haven't commented before now...I was just checking to see if I had missed any blog updates and reread this one...I loved it sooooo much!

Thank you, Sibi, for being who you are!!!

P.S. Still hoping to connect with you sometime in July!!! I would love to meet in person. I hope your store front is doing well!

RachelRAdams said...

love this post. love all your posts... but this one is holds alot of truth