Sunday, March 23, 2008

Life is not a dress rehearsal

This Easter I had big plans. Big dreams. Big ideas of how our day as a family would unfold. I had deep desires in my heart of just being able to bask in Him and all that this day represents- while embracing my precious gifts in their beautiful Easter wear and enjoying Sunday brunch with my family! (Think Martha) Needless to say, our day unfolded a little differently and I thank God for my sense of humor and ability to uh-umm...look past some things. We started out the morning early and the children woke up to an Easter egg trail from their room leading to their baskets. All the way down the stairs they blazed a trail and literally "tore" into their baskets before I could capture a decent picture! You can see for yourself in the picture of ......Easter grass. Then our family of six needed to shower, powder and puff and attempt to make it to the 9:30 a.m. children's service. Which we had to make it to since we then had 11:30  brunch reservations afterwards! (Need I say more?)This is where the fun began! BG's dress was at the cleaners, which I failed to pick up in time the day before, which meant baby sister and she couldn't match, which is no big deal- except that I love for them to match. Then baby brother couldn't get any part of his foot into his "good shoes", which we just purchased a few months ago for the baby's christening! Which is no big deal as well, except that meant that he could not wear his beautiful taupe monogrammed outfit and little knee socks. Which is fine, except that I just love for him to wear this type of thing and the opportunity rarely comes around, seeing that we just don't have a lot" good shoes" occasions. Anyway, then my husband and I were both sweating profusely (after we had already showered) just trying to get our 25 pound Pearl into her Sunday tights. I then couldn't find her "Praise the Lord" bloomers to cover up the fact that her tights were quite possibly cutting off her circulation, just in case anyone noticed.   I will spare everyone the details of what I had to go through and end up wearing but it wasn't pretty! 
No time for pictures- we are late. Rush, rush, rush all the way there. Get there. Standing room only and our family of six is sitting in the floor. It's elbow to eyeball and one of the little ones
is fussy- "she was hungry"- I realized at that point that nobody had eaten a bit of breakfast (except for maybe some jellybeans, does that count?) and was feeling pretty bad about myself. The tears were flowing and I was wishing for a better orchestrated, much more
peaceful morning - when the most beautiful voice began to sing the most glorious song and I was able to enjoy the most important part of Easter morning -part of what I had dreamed about- basking in Him- in His presenceRight there on the floor. Right there without everything just so. Right there in the midst of the crowded sanctuary. Right there- even though we were a mess and even though we were late- He still met me in spite of myself. He still showed up and poured out His grace one more time. He still allowed me the gift of experiencing my own Easter miracle. That I am nothing without Him-except someone who struggles. That I can do nothing without Him- except continue to mess up and make mistakes. That He still meets us- whether powdered or puffed- or just in a fluff.  Whether pulled together or pulled apart. Whether our exterior looks great and our interior is rotting. Or whether our interior looks great and our exterior is rotting. He is no respecter of persons. His only requirement is that we have a heart turned toward Him and there He is. What a gift. What a blessing. Thank you Father  for a beautiful Easter with my family and another opportunity to experience you and your unconditional love.

6 comments:

ATC said...

What a lovely blog!

I'm so excited you're my Preppy blog swap partner-I've been shopping all day for your preppy spring gifts!

Denise C said...

Oh what beautiful words.....Now isn't that just like our Father to give you that sweet song with then...right there where you needed it most! I stand in awe of HIM!!! He is always there to meet us right where we are! What a loving and gracious God we serve!
So glad you Easter was so full of sweet blessings, my friend!

Lori said...

What a beautiful post, once again. :)
I was laughing at your Sunday morning rush, I can so relate...but on a much smaller scale.
Your family picture is just beautiful and what a great heart to forget all the other "stuff" for the moment and bask in what Easter is really about.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I guess I wasn't the only one to have some difficulties Easter morning. I wish S and I had made it to Mass, but at least E and DH were able to go.

3 Peanuts said...

That is so beautiful!

Heather said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful post! I really enjoyed reading it.