Sunday, March 16, 2008

Life Is Short- Make It Beautiful

How many of us have spoken the following words before? "Don't use those, those are the good napkins !" "Who wiped their mouth on the good towels?" "These plates are for special occasions! " Oh my goodness! I could go on for days about all the silly things I have said and done. Lately we have been using the good stuff. What is all of that "stuff" really for anyway if we never use it. Why do we, by nature only use it for company or special occasions? A while back it really hit me , all the fuss I would go through for dinner guests or company, but when it came time to eat with my family, I didn't apply the same effort. I did on occasion. But not every night. I decided to change that. I am always telling my children- "You need to treat your family the best" (meanwhile back at the ranch, they are eating off of little plastic plates!! ) I decided to try and do a better job of making a fuss over my own family. After all I simply love to roll out my gift of hospitality. I have drawers full of linens , chargers , napkins, napkin ring holders, place card holders and oh my, let's not forget my affection for spreaders. Oh yes, I have a collection of seasonal spreaders. It is quite a sight to watch my 6'5 , 275 lbs. ex-linebacker husband use a porcelin bunny spreader while buttering his pancakes! I'm sure this wasn't part of what he signed up for, but I love that he will play along and participate while I am pretending to be Martha Stewart~and pretend I do. We celebrate everything. I go out of my way to let my family know that they are loved and adored and celebrated. Maybe it's the Mom in me. Maybe it's the party planner in me. Maybe it's filling some void that was never met in my own childhood. Maybe it's the years of poverty and lack and the length of time we went without basic needs- including food. Or maybe it's just the unconditional love that flows out of me for every single member of this growing family. Either way, it is my privilege and pleasure to teach them how to demonstrate love, thoughtfulness and kindness and to do it all with a servant's heart. Life is short- make it beautiful.

8 comments:

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I am so glad you use the "good" stuff on a regular basis. I love tableware, so we use ours a lot. I figure why not, life is short!

Serah said...

Your blog is so beautiful! Thanks so much for visiting mine!

Sharon said...

lovely and wise post as alwasy. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I will be back soon, I know. Have a great day!

Lori said...

Great post and I couldn't agree more!
I too love to do all those special touches....my family is more than worth it. :)

Jodee said...

I love this post! We, too, celebrate life to the fullest each and every day!

Denise C said...

What a beautiful post!!! Lovely thoughts from your very precious heart!
Sweet blessings to you my friend!!!

Tangee said...

You literally bring me to tears each time I read your blog. You are an inspiration to me of what kind of mother I want to be and how to celebrate the blessings God gives me. Thank you for sharing your world with us.

Mom of Eleven said...

I am with you, I love to decorate and celebrate every holiday, (well maybe not President's Day or Arbor Day), but I love to use the nice stuff too. Thanks for sharing, your blog is beautiful.