Monday, February 6, 2012

Vintage Grace



I remember the phone call like it was yesterday.

It came exactly 78 days ago this very morning.

My husband called from NYC to let me know that he had been released from his job, along with a group of others.

It wasn't the first time this had happened to us. Or the second. It is the nature of his business.

But it didn't make it any easier.

In one breath I was thanking God. I was rejoicing. I was celebrating. I was beside myself.

After two and half years almost, My husband was finally coming home.

And then in another breath, I was gripped with fear and felt panic strike at my heart.

I would see-saw between the two for weeks.

We did our best to dig deep into our faith and trust.  The kind of trusting and holding on that comes when the rug has been jerked out from underneath you so many times you don't even know what it feels like to stand on solid ground.

We clung to Him. And we prayed. We celebrated that Daddy was home and we fought fear and the "what-if's" and the "this is not really happening to us...again" thoughts.

And we pressed on. With faith and tears and learning how to trust on a new level.

I've walked a few years in my faith to know that anytime you want to do something for God- the enemy will do everything he can to stop it.

And I had just worked out all the details to host the next Pearl Event.


Just.

I can remember my husband standing in the middle of the room looking at me.....

A man who has fought for everything he's ever received. He knows how to fight.

And he said these words. "Honey, we are still going to do The Pearl Event."

I can't tell you how that ministered to me. How it breathed life into me. How my mind tried to reason that we simply could not and my heart fell head over heels in love with him all over again.

Because when your man believes in your dreams, to the point of sacrificing to make sure they come to pass. Well, you want to marry him all over again.

And making sure The Pearl Event happens and Pearls and Grace Ministries continues is my number one dream.

My husband had also just heard a wonderful teaching from a church through a podcast and the title was called "Burn The Ships."

It was life changing.

The teaching talked about how sometimes God will "burn our ships" so to speak, so that we have no way to turn around and go back, or leave, or give up. We have to continue moving forward in a new direction.

For the last 78 days God has made it very clear that we are to move forward in a new direction.

One being The Pearl Event.

In the midst of all of this some other dreams inside my heart began to stir.

And we felt the Lord's prompting to move forward with those.

So for the last couple of months we've been busy creating and planning and holding the Lord's hand asking for wisdom and guidance.

In the meantime, I have finally been able to sleep for more than just a few hours each night. And apparently, getting some sleep will help flood your creativity with lots of ideas.

Mama's been busy.

So tomorrow, this former retail girl and "all things home" obsessed girl, who changes her furniture around every week and who has done this for years girl, this former party planner girl, former flower designer girl and long time girly-girl who still twirls on occasion, is opening her own tiny vintage home goods business.

Now I know some of you may be scratching your head and may be thinking to yourself, well you never even write about home stuff!

And to answer that, all I can say is that from day one I have devoted this blog to Him.

Most of the time writing about whatever He prompts me to write about. I usually pray before I write each post,  and ask Him what He wants me to share.

And then together we write. I love writing with the Lord....

And I also have a few more dreams too....

Sometimes we have dreams and desires that just lie dormant for years.

Life gets in the way.

Circumstances and situations and marriage and babies and working 9 to 5 to pay the bills, takes priority above what we used to dream about doing.

Or sometimes we can even push our own dreams down deep inside our hearts, dismissing the very thing God has called us to do. Sometimes we can feel that since we do not have the certifications or degrees or someone's stamp of approval in whatever the field is, then we aren't really "qualified."

I have discovered that this is not always true.

I love this saying..."God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called."

Here's hoping!


Last week I signed a contract for three months, to rent out the sweetest, little space inside a wonderful store. When I asked the Lord about the time frame of the contract, He spoke these words to my heart....

This is the first trimester of something new I'm birthing through you.

Honey words. Healing words. Hopeful words.

Grateful me.

I named it Vintage Grace.  In fact, it is that very thing, that has held me during this time. And so many other times in my life.


So the name is really significant to me.

And just as a side note, apparently taking your man to the lumbar department of Home Depot and hauling around 2 x4's on a cart while carrying around his sixth child on your hip is a man's love language all by itself!  Who knew?

I will also be launching, with lots of faith and my Canon 7D in tow, business and dream number two. I am leaping into photography as a business again, after closing that door years ago, to focus on growing our family. 

So starting two new businesses and planning and producing The Pearl Event, all within the first three months of this year.

Apparently I'm pregnant ...

Truly expectant with dreams and business ideas and a special ministry to women.

It only took my husband losing his job for me to see the two pink lines....

Commit everything you do to the Lord, trust Him and He will help you. - Psalm 37:5

22 comments:

Mary said...

Congratulations, Sibi! This post speaks to me/us in so many ways. For weeks now I have felt that the Lord wants something new for our family-- something, perhaps, radical. You (and the Lord) give me hope and courage in the sharing of your dreams and experiences. I am praying for you, and I know you will be a great success! Blessings and hugs!

Gail said...

I love your words, their truth. I know just the feeling. God Bless and I am sure, sure, sure, that our Father is directing our paths. For man makes his plans, but it's our God who directs his footsteps. Believe...Faith, and love,

Gail said...

I love your words, their truth. I know just the feeling. God Bless and I am sure, sure, sure, that our Father is directing our paths. For man makes his plans, but it's our God who directs his footsteps. Believe...Faith, and love,

paige said...

i love you friend & your faith has inspired me like crazy!!
dan thinks you're amazing!!
while we didn't get to sit beside each other or swap simultaneous birthing issues we have birthed our new businesses together, & i love that it brings us closer.
have loved praying for you through this

love you friend
xoxo

Deborah said...

Congratulations. I'm so excited for you and I know the Lord has something special in mind for your new ventures. I'm saying a special prayer for you and your family today.

Deborah

Tiffany said...

I absolutely love this post for so many reasons!
I am overwhelmed with joy and excitement for you, sweet woman who has inspired me so many times!
I pray He continues to bless you abundantly!!!

Renae Moore said...

OH Sibi!

How wonderful..the LORD NEVER FAILS US. 'For He knows the plans He has for us, to prosper us and not harm us and to give us hope and a future'. Blessings to you in the 'first trimester'!

The Pearl Event is on my mind...working out details, want to be there.

xx

Michele said...

Another very touching post - so honest and sincere. I am praying for you and your family. I am glad to hear your husband is home with you and the children. All of you must be so excited about that. Congratulations on Vintage Grace, Sibi! I hope your new venture is everything you've hoped and prayed for! Can't wait to see and hear more about Vintage Grace. Would love to see pictures of the new space. How many days until The Pearl Event? So excited for Nashville!! Michele xo

3 Peanuts said...

I am so thrilled for you Sibi!!!!! This is all very very exciting!!!! I know each endeavor will be a success as you are following your heart and the gifts God has given you. Blessings my sweet friend. I am praying for you.

Kim

Celia said...

I have never commented on your blog before, but I have felt such encouragement from your words for a long while. You would think I would make my first comment serious and important, but I can't resist posting jovially that if you were to carry classic, vintage baby clothes in your store - and if I lived near where ever your store is (I am outside the USA) - I would bankrupt myself! Like you, I cannot resist babies and their sweet little trimmings!

Beth said...

Sweet Sibi!

Best wishes on this amazing new path!

I can't help but notice how you walk this particular verse:
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. -Joshua 1:8

He is before you and your rear guard!

DianeTaylor said...

Hi Sibi - my heart was singing a joyous song when I read this. How exciting!!! I know when my husband lost his job, it took over a year of praying and hoping and surviving day to day on odd jobs. Then God opened a door for him with a company that values him alot. I am so excited for you - keep us posted. And I'll be praying for you and your husband. I wish I could go to the Pearl Event. It's not in my budget - but I still wish I could go.

Take care - Diane

Anonymous said...

Yay! That is great! Can't wait for the Pearl Event.

Mrs.K loves pink and green said...

Sibi,I read your blog,and you have no idea what you and the Lord have done for me,through your words. Please,let all ofnus know where your new Vintage Grace store is located,so we can come and shop.I live in Huntsville,Al. and like driving to other cities to shop,so I would love to bring some friends and support you.I can't wait to see all the amazing and wonderful things He has in store for you and your family... Blessings,Elaine

Michelle said...

Wow...God is doing BIG things in you and in your house! What a Blessing!

As one who has dropped to her knees "thanking God for the challenges" after getting the same call from my husband (one we never thought we would receive) several years ago...I know the up and down emotions that can wash over you. You took those waves and let them water your dreams! So happy for you and pray you have an extra measure of energy in the coming weeks. It will be beautiful because He is in the middle of it!

The Tucker Troops said...

I'm in awe...thank you for sharing and inspiring! God be with you on your amazing journey and take care of you in your first trimester!

MRP said...

Wow. Your writing has inspired and grown me for so long-
and tonight the cup runneth Princess! Wouldn't you know that your dreams have no sooner been set free by our Maker (clearly with obedience and faith from your awesome hubby) and just look at that writing. Read those words. Here the beauty and feel the wind under your wing. Wow.
If you could only possibly imagine the strength and truth and testimony I am pulling from you right here, right now. It is poetry and He is the poet. I am so ridiculously happy for you,your endeavors, and for all those who make contact with you through them. Lives will be changed from your beautiful spirit, from your hard-earned story, from the beauty you share through what you create. I think this Yankee girl might actually let out a whoop or a yelp or some sound that is fitting to get this feeling out right! Go girl! It is your season. Love you. MRP

SSM said...

Congratulations, Sibi!

Please let me know if you need
the name of a great blog desinger.
She designed my new home.

Missy said...

Congratulations! Praying that it is all a big success and glorifies God. I want you to know that it is very apparent that your blog is dedicated to Him and He leads you in writing it. Pearls and Grace has blessed me many times over the past several months. Thank you!

The Mrs. said...

I am thrilled for you! My husband lost his job and I started my business. It has been stressful but AMAZING!!

C Grace Design said...

i stand behind you and cheer you on! thank you for sharing your heart...love you sweet sister!

Susan Shull said...

Wow! This post is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing from your heart. My friends and I are coming the The Pearl! Where is Vintage Grace located because I know we will wnat to check it out! Looking forward to meeting you and learning from you.