Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Our Own Hands




Photo credit: Martha Stewart


One week ago today almost 3 million individual lives were changed forever. In an instant. In a matter of seconds. Just like that. It doesn't seem fair. Not one bit. I have been able to think of little else for a solid week. Just like many of you, I can't watch the news any more . I'm either too sick to my stomach at the sheer devastation of it all or my heart is breaking into a million pieces for those precious  people~ especially the babies. I felt as if my heart was being ripped out of my chest as I watched a bulldozer scrape up hundreds of bodies and empty them into a dump truck. A bulldozer. A dump truck. Human beings. God's precious people. Mothers and Fathers. Sons and Daughters. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach.

 I want to get on a plane and go over there and scoop those babies up in my arms and tell them with everything that is in me that it's going to be okay and that God still loves them even though it looks like He doesn't.  I want to take whatever we have and give every single bit of it.  I want my Husband to take a week off from work and stay with our children so I can go to Haiti and hold babies and pray over them for God's mercy, protection and provision. It's not the first time he has heard these requests. This is life with a wife with a mercy gift.

The other night I kept him up talking about the devastation of it all and about how on earth we continue with life as normal when so many are suffering right now. Not only in Haiti, in many, many places. But especially Haiti. It doesn't seem right. We can't just get up tomorrow and carry on with "normal" for Heavens sake. There are children in Haiti about to have a leg cut off with a hacksaw because the airport is backed up and they can't get the medical supplies to the makeshift hospital. I can't wrap my brain around it all. Or my heart.

What can I do? I feel so helpless. So I pray. In praying this week one thing the Lord placed on my heart was that I should do whatever I can with my own hands. I can pray. I love to pray. I can give. I love to give. I can write to encourage others to do what they can. I love to write. I can collect clothes, blankets and other items to give as donations. I should do whatever I possibly can with my own hands. Not only for the earthquake victims but in every day life as well. It doesn't do anyone any good just to live life for a party of one. To sit on our gifts. To withhold our talents. He has called us to be like Him to one another. What are your gifts sweet reader? What are your talents? How can you give? What can you share with the world to help and to bring about healing in the life of another? How can you use what He has given you to be a blessing to someone else? These are just a few petitions we can bring before Him this week. I know Him to be faithful to highlight, show and even speak to our hearts the many ways in which each one of us can be a blessing to someone else this week with our very own hands. Can't wait to hear about what He places on your hearts.......


We can text "HAITI" to 90999 to automatically give to the American Red Cross.


















11 comments:

Jo said...

I was in tears watching those sweet babies just cry out for someone, anyone to hold them and love them. It just hurts your hear. I pray that they will find loving adoptive families ~ soon, very soon.

bevy said...

My gift is teaching my precious fourth graders. And I am not letting them forget anything about the devastation. We have been looking at Haiti on the map and discussing what has happened. Just today, I received an email (via Christ Central in my town) from a missionary who was working in a medical clinic. I read the email to my students to share what it was like to be there - first person. I am planning on posting it later on my blog this evening. It is powerful.

Teaching compassion and empathy to my own children and my students is my gift - my gift from my Father. I praise Him for that!

Nancy said...

Oh Sibi, so inspiring. I too can not wrap my mind around such things. I know God loves all of his children and I pray that the people of Haiti know that too. I've watched the coverage and felt such a pull to help and I would love to go and hold those babies and even bring one home. My heart aches for them.

I've donated money and my church is gathering blankets for the time being and will do more when we receive word of what is needed. I too will contine to pray for Haiti. It's also times like these when I realize how much I have, I'm blessed beyond measure and can only hope to give back in double.

Jennifer said...

Romans 12

Especially Romans 12:6-13

Susan R said...

God gives the greatest trials to the strongest people. I cannot say whether I could be that strong, but I have to believe that some blessing will come from this. Right now it's hard to believe that. Our hearts break for them and we realize how lucky and blessed we really are. Makes us more aware of holding our own babies and telling our family how much we love them.

KK said...

Don't you love that technology (texting) enables us to give to those in need?! So cool! Praying AND texting over here!

Katy said...

It IS heartbreaking and I feel like going over there myself to help in any way that I can. I was thinking yesterday of how I'd like to fill up a semi truck with clothing to have sent there....I just need to find the steps it takes to get them shipped there. It's awful, just awful.

Lana Kim White Austin said...

Yes, I completely concur. 100%
My mind honestly can't wrap around this horror, let alone my heart. We are SO BLESSED here in America and most of the time don't even comprehend that! Anything and everything we can do is REQUIRED.
Thanks as always for your tender and precious heart that comes shining through your blog!
Love in Christ, Lana Austin

Love Being A Nonny said...

Donated to The American Red Cross. Thank you for this heart felt post.

Tammy Ellington said...

I love your blog...it not only inspires me everytime I read it, but it was The Blog I "used" to navigate my way into setting up and creating my own beautiul place for others to come and enjoy some real fun "girl time".

My sister and brother-in-law are not only foster parents, but have adopted three of children already. She is sooooooooo upset with this situation, but on the phone already, in her typical style, trying to find out what she can do to help with these darlings!

Please stop in for a visit anytime at http://avintagediva.blogspot.com/

Blessings to you today!

lizziefitz said...

prayers, prayers ,prayers!!!!!!!!!!!! He knows every hair on our heads. Even the heads in Haiti.