Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Is A Place





Hello sweet readers! Hope that all is well and that you are all enjoying this incredibly special week!

I wanted to just stop in and leave a little update and wish everyone a beautiful Thanksgiving....

Mr. P and G is home and we are doing something a little different this year. Last year I spent at least 8 hours cooking and probably at least that long cleaning up afterwards and it took our children about 10 minutes to enjoy every bite.

Mama wasn't up for that this year.

Can anyone else relate?

So we are going on a little road trip and taking a break from our normal routine and will be spending a few days reading lots of fairytales and bible stories to our children, sipping hot cocoa with fluffy marshmallows and going for lots of walks and enjoying these precious ones more than ever.  I'm also hoping to take at least a thousand pictures of their precious faces. I've been busy capturing them more than usual. Documenting their childhood in letters and photographs. Two of my favorite things to do.....

In addition after the year we have had I've found myself this November filled with gratitude on a new level.

And it doesn't have anything to do with turkey and cornbread dressing.

It doesn't have anything to do with Black Friday . And really nothing at all to do with rushing the next holiday and attempting to get the tree up and decorated.

For me this year, Thanksgiving is a place.

It's a spiritual posture that I can walk in every, single day. Or not.

I don't need a big meal this year, where folks eat too much and then pass out for the rest of the day to prove how thankful I am.

I want to be as thankful on a regular Monday as I am on actual Thanksgiving.

I love the Holidays. I mean I absolutely adore them.  But this year it's so different for me.

I've arrived at my destination and it's called Thanksgiving.

Where gratitude and attitude are the state and capital.

It's a place. And I'm resting in it this year. Knowing that the Father doesn't need me to host, cook or create a  huge meal. Knowing that He is interested in the condition of my heart and what's going on inside it more than how pretty the table is set or how good the pumpkin pie is.

It isn't a day for me this year. It's a place and I never want to leave.

No matter what happens in life. This is where I am taking up my permanent residence.

I want to rest in this place whether God provides simple daily "manna" or whether it's a year flowing with milk and honey. I have to. I've had to walk through many valleys so that I can teach my children about what Thanksgiving really means out of a true and deep heart knowledge.

Not just head knowledge.

And I've always been thankful. But this year, it's an entirely different level.

It's a place inside that even though everything is not okay. It's okay. And even though things are really difficult and really hard. It's okay. And even though God has allowed certain circumstances and situations that are pressing and crushing...it's okay. I will praise Him and thank Him and trust Him in the midst of it all.

Because my heart has a new address this year......

2010 Thanksgiving Circle


14 comments:

Jodee said...

I love, love, love this Thanksgiving post. Enjoy your time away!

bevy said...

Lovely Thanksgiving post... Just wrote a little one myself about how I'm able to be thankful every day of the year.

sewfarandaway said...

Sibi, Beautifully said. Tomorrow we are taking the family to the rescue mission to prepare food. We are doing the same as you but you worded what has been on my mind and not able to express.
Enjoy those walks and giggles!
Happy Thanksgiving.
Stacey

Henley on the Horn said...

What a precious post! Where are you all going to get away? I love that you are doing just that. Enjoy your time together. I was just telling my husband something very similar over dinner. I want to be thankful and grateful for all that I have,not always looking for the next thing. God is good,isn't He?

paige said...

oh sibi.....

tears



i'm printing this right now. i want to read this as a reminder. daily.

i love you friend
i'm thankful the lord sent YOU into my life

xo

3 Peanuts said...

This is really special Sibi. And so true. And you know what age and wisdom and grace lead us to this place you speak of and I think I am finally there too. You are a beautiful soul.


Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your blessings this weekend.

Unknown said...

Wow what an excellent post!! I can REALLY relate and we are doing something similar this Thanksgiving as well. Have a blessed time with your family!!

sherry said...

yes.
just simply ... yes.
you get it.
i get it.
hopefully everyone who
visits this blog
will get it.

what's more, you're teaching your children to get it and carry it on. that's awesome.

bless you,
jAne

Cat said...

You are my fairy-blog mother. You speak such TRUTH and words of wisdom from the Lord every time you write, and I am truly thankful I discovered you and that God put it on your heart to have this blog. Thank you for your inspiration and being a woman of God in a day where it is one of the most difficult thins to do.

Thankful for many things, but incredibly thankful to have you as a reminder of what is important!

Tiffany said...

I absolutely LOVE this! It says how I feel exactly...and beautifully! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family...I pray God's abundant blessings on you in this PLACE you are in!...in the sweet name of Jesus~AMEN!
:)

AmyB said...

Thanksgiving Blessings to your family! What a fantastic way to celebrate. ENJOY your getaway.

Jerri said...

Awesome! Enjoy Thanksgiving and every day with your beautiful family!

lizziefitz said...

I am Thankful for you Sibi. Love Spiritual posture:) I learn so much from your visual descriptions.

Tammy said...

I absolutely love this quote: Thanksgiving is a place. HOW FABULOUS!!! I couldn't agree more! I am really enjoying your site. You are precious! God Bless!